Friday, September 11, 2009

I Remember.

9/11/01

I'll always remember. I PRAY we never forget. I fear that every year elements of the day and immediate days are forgotten. The one bright light after 9/11 was how somehow our country "got it". We seemed to get what was important - loving thy neighbor, PEACE, lifting each other up, WORKING TOGETHER. Being strong. I now feel every year brings more division, an "every person for them-self" mentality, a lack of gratitude for the richness of diversity in our nation and world, and the blessing we are to each other. I feel like the messages of hope and rebirth we were sent in the aftermath of tragedy as a grace or gift have been forgotten. That isn't fair. It isn't fair to us, our nation, or the victims and their families. We deserve better, they died for better, their families need better.

We must not forget.

Pearl Harbor Day already seems like a simple date to many today. It seems to be barely remembered except for the impacted, sentimental or the thoughtful. I may be sensitive for it because of the care of my father - an 86 year old veteran of WWII. His legacy is that his children never forget that date. It was his generation's 9/11. It was why he enlisted, why he fought - to aid in it never happening again. 9/11 about killed him. He knew too well the weight of the souls lost, yet the glorious promise in it all if we rise up afterwards to overcome and grab the graces and gifts that do come if we look for them. Uniting together, coming together, working together, knowing we are never forsaken, never giving up on each other.

Yet - how soon we become single in purpose, divided, and overwhelmed. It shouldn't be that way. We owe to much to too many, then, and now, to do that to ourselves. People who loved us VERY much fought for us to be free. People who loved us very much got up for work, dressed for the office, a flight, a 1st responder post, or day at the Pentagon and kissed their children, spouses, parents, and extended family goodbye for what was supposed to be the day - only to never return.

I hear it so often - "How can we honor them?" Building a memorial at the Twin Towers and crash sites....sure. That's great. Sadly, that takes time. We're 8 years past, and still there is wreckage and construction at Towers One and Two. How can we make a difference until man made memorials are agreed on and completed? It's simple - by working on ourselves. Being what we ought to be, being worthy people of character. Being people our families are proud of when we part ways for the day - since we never really know if we will unite again on this earth at the end of the day. Working together with the gift of diversity in our amazing country and God given planet. Always remembering, while looking ahead and moving forward.

Today I remember. I know most of us always will. Today I also plan to BE - be the change, be real, be responsible. I owe too many, and am called on by my God and others who care for me to be anything else or less. Will I fail some days? Yes. We are fallible. But, we are called to be there for each other - help each other get back up, dust off, forgive, and be challenged. Will you help me remember? Will you help me do better?

For now, I can only say thank you. Thank you 1st responders today - firemen, police, medical. Thank you for serving our needs - saving and protecting us. Thank you to those who responded on 9/11 and gave the ultimate sacrifice. Thank you to all the men and women who got up to go to work or travel for their families, or seeing their own talents through - thank you for stepping into the unknown that day - I know God was with each of you as the day turned into darkness. You give me pause, and make me want to live my life with more purpose since we never know when we are called home. Thank you to all I love today - for giving me hope and who challenge me to be a little be more improved every day I'm given. Thank you. I love you.

May we not forget.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful, heart warming post! As an Indian, I feel as deeply as you do because we suffer and lose so many brave soldiers and innocent lives to terrorist attacks. I too believe in those three golden words you've stated: May We Not Forget.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!! I wish you a GREAT day!