Saturday, August 4, 2012

How much info?

So, let's take a quick break from my big, but "first world" problems of late. I have a question for any readers out there who want to jump in and comment.

Where is the line between lying and sharing - and I mean too much info about what happened with our house and the fall out from all that? 

As we pray about moving to a more long term home and we look around, I'm finding that as we meet people (some, potential new friends in these new areas) and tell them we are looking for a home, so many are asking "So, did you sell your home already?"

Now, I'm a "heart on my sleeve" type of girl, and most IRLers would tell you readers I probably overshare about my life - I'm just too ready to connect, be honest, and don't lie well (I still sin by lying though! Argh!) . This happened to me fresh out of our move and when I was in the turbulent waters of confusion - how did I lose my home, who was I married to, etc. I went to the library for a baby program, and a new mom I met there heard me mention we had just moved, and she asked where, etc. Then she was like "how did you sell your home so fast?" I guess I was just too vague with my answers (she kept pressing) and instead of being able to change the subject or just end it well - I quietly muttered "forclosure" - which she still couldn't hear, so I had to say it louder. Oh - I felt shame. I think she did too for having pressed so hard. I really do. I doubt she ever  does that again. I harbor no ill will to her.

I have not had a situation like that since where I have to explain anything. I HAVE run into people or professionals in our community (doctors/dentists/businesses all my family shares around town) that have known because a close family member(s) told them we were foreclosed on. One family member went into detail about what my husband did (NOT ok at all. That is "by permission" only. We don't need the community to hold a grudge!), another one told a professional we were foreclosed on. Not really what I wanted either (I would have happily moved and not shared with the world why we moved to a new home - is that lying for now?). I tend to think I'm sensitive about who talks about the foreclosure because how it happened, not that it did happen. I wonder if I'd be much more open talking about losing our home if I had known a year or two before, liked most normal owners? I feel much more protective of the truth because of being protective of my husband, I know that for a fact!

Anyways, back to the present. As I've mentioned, we are discerning and preparing for a possible move to a more permanent home finally, after almost a year of recovery. And, in doing so, we are in new communities, and meeting new people who we will potentially see on a daily basis - even becoming friends. I found myself being asked over and over by these people this week alone about our house, and how did we sell it so quickly. I should have been more prepared. I found myself saying "we've sold it over a year ago, and have been renting ever since." Other times I said we "got rid of it a year ago, and renting." or "We were able to move out and start renting about a year ago." That last one is the best answer to avoid lying, but it gets the more probing questions. In this market, everyone wants to know "how we did it" without renting it out. Sigh.
Lies. All lies.


I just don't want to give the real story until we really know and trust these potential new friends (and I sure hope they will be!). But, how do I do it without lying?

Oh - amazingly, one of these new friends is a fellow blogger and reader of my blog - WHAT A SMALL WORLD. She completely recognized me and laughed about knowing "Gift, Valiant, and Lovely!" (how thankful am I now that I do code names, and so does this new blogger friend. We both like knowing people can't call our kids by their real names). I won't reveal her until later, but this sweet woman has not said a word to me, or anyone I was around, about the real story. She must be reading this post. She probably has been this whole time. What a generous heart she (you, you know who you are) has. My husband and I have been totally happy with blogging our journey to healing - not many IRL friends know this blog exists, because it is so personal, but we want to share our journey somehow to heal. I normally know who reads though, but she and I had not commented on each others' blogs in months, so I was caught by surprise she knew me.  I was wildly excited though, and she is totally amazing. I'm really hoping I can see her more often now. But, she probably heard me being vague/lying to the new friends around us (HER friends). She may even wonder why I'm doing it. I feel so torn up inside! I'm a liar. I promise I'm just trying to protect my husband most. And yes, there is shame in it too. I'm scared of being judged if we simply say "we lost our home to foreclosure, and now we're looking into being your neighbors."

So, do you have any advice on how to navigate what to say, how much to say, and how to avoid saying things that could be hurtful to my husband? I know one day, if I grow closer to the people we have been meeting, I may share many details of losing our home (not all, and I'm sure you ca guess which parts I'll leave out), but I'll want to come "clean". I welcome all comments - even my more quiet readers and new friends, LOL!

How much info should be shared? How can I do it well and honorably? I should have asked this months ago.

Thanks! Blessings!!

P.S. I am praying that one day, we will be able to share all of the details, maybe as a sharing couple in Retrouvaille, etc. I just don't know if we are there yet. We are getting there. Pray for us!!!

8 comments:

  1. I honestly don't think all the details need to be shared with new or potential new friends. I see nothing wrong with saying you had to walk away from the old house and decided to rent until you could find something something else.

    Also, if you choose to tell them you lost the house to foreclosure, you don't need to share the story of what happened. You could just say that with the economy being what it was the house was just too much. It's ok to be vague or to just tell someone you're not interested in explaining the situation in nitty gritty detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Karen. It's fine to be vague. You are not under any obligation to tell people ANYTHING. And in my opinion, it's rude for people to continue to probe (like library lady) when you CLEARLY are being vague for a reason. I think the best thing to do in those situations is come up with a "standard" answer and practice it to yourself, so that when people ask, you are ready with your response. Saying that you don't currently own a house now and are renting is truthful and fine to say. Or that you went into a rental situation because it was a positive financial decision for your family at the time. You get the idea. People have no right to ANY information that you don't choose to share, and I think you are correct in your instincts to keep some things private (because I know you and once you share a little, the rest just comes bubbling out eventually!!) Find out who your "real" friends will be there and THEN you can share more if you feel called. Even then, I would only do it if you think it will be a help to someone else who is struggling. Hubby made some mistakes, you are moving on as a couple, and continuing to re-hash for every new person in your life is just reopening old wounds. The whole idea is a fresh start for all of you and a chance to rebuild.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Response, Part II: Forgot to add -- choosing not to share everything is NOT lying. It's choosing to be circumspect. In this day and age when everything is instantaneous and visible and online, no one respects privacy anymore. You are not a liar just because you are selective in what you share. If what you share is the truth, and it doesn't give a false picture, then you are not lying. I.E. - we don't currently own and are renting until we find something up here. Not lying, not false picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The market is so good that selling today isn't as hard as you think. :) You can just say - "the timing worked out!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE these! Amazing how you can't see the forest for the trees. This are simple yet brilliant. Thank you!!!! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. quick question - were you and your family at Rock City last week (8/6)? If so, I think we briefly meet. My family and I were there and I commented that your middle daughter was wearing a dress (plaid with flower) that my daughter had. We also bumped into one another when our kids were playing in the mister by lookout mountain gift shop/eating place. Hope your family had a great time there. We definitely enjoyed ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn - That is CRAZY!!! Yes! That was us! What helped you connect the dots? Funny thing, is I remember our conversation as we passed each other. Were you on vacation? Welcome to my blog! How did you find Rosey Outlook? WOW! HI!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What helped me connect the dots was that I had just read your blog the day before and recognized your little boy and he curly hair. I found your blog via Small Successes and liked your perspective about Catholicism. We stopped there on our way down to St Simons Island GA for vacation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!! I wish you a GREAT day!