Friday, May 4, 2012

Sneak Peak

Ok, so the other day I vented, wigged out, broke under the pressure of starting a project for my incredible daughter too late, underestimating it's difficulty posted about trying to sew a piece of  organza into a 1st communion veil. I got amazing responses from so many of you talented seamstresses.

Organza is still nothing like the fabric I made drapes and bedding out of. Those were so simple than this ONE PIECE OF CLOTH. Ha! on me!

Today, I took my organza to a local sewing store with your suggestions to see things visually (I just have to see and practice what I'm doing - and still I am a very slow learner). They were really helpful. One of the ladies sat me down to show me my options. As much as I love the ribbon edging, etc, I was wanting more of a rolled edge (the dress has a rolled edge with its organza overlay), but I don't have a serger, and neither do my friends. So, she said to use a wide zig zag straight stitch, normal tension, and no folding/pinning. She said the wide zig zag down the edge would naturally roll it under, and she was right. I practiced a TON tonight before doing the real piece, and aside from a few places where I need to trim back where I left the edge (slippery fabric that organza), I got it. I have had such support this week from those I borrowed machine's and brains, and those who calmed me down and reminded me to pray before working.

I borrowed a machine today, and practiced over and over on scraps, and the other half of the yard of organza. This was the first time I did a continuous run on the machine, going around corner. I'd then cut all the edging off, and do it again on that spare piece. Finally, I felt ready (so nervous...I broke one of my needles at one point!).

Here we go (you know me, I photo-document everything!):


One of my practice runs....a little off in some places, but I can try and trim carefully.




Ok, so, while I have not done more "pretty" hand stitching on the barrette (which most likely will be hidden by flowers), it has been secured to the barrette. I need to practice a bit more doing that tomorrow when I can see straight. I want it secure. So, here is a sneak peak with a VERY excited and willing model!! (Good looking too!)

 (please remember it is unfinished, and I need to trim some edges, etc!!!)

*I'm a little concerned it is too long. I had pictured doing the barrette differently, and would need more cloth to wrap around it. I'm hoping when it is done it isn't as long as it looks on my adult sized model lol!!*






 Wahh-laaaaaaaa!! More to see after Sunday!! Thank YOU for your prayers and support!! I'm seriously giddy with joy with this!! AMEN!!

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!! I wish you a GREAT day!