Ok - has anyone worked with organza before? I thought it would be a simple project to make a barrette communion veil this week after Lovely was not thrilled about the ones in stores. She liked the softer feel of her organza overlay in her gown, so we thought I'd get a little bit of the same material and create a small veil for her dress.
I figured I'd cut it, then edge it a possible zig zag stitch or something comparable my borrowed machine could do, and attach it to the barrette in about an hour.
UGH! I walked into this project ILL prepared and wasted 3 hours.
It's cut, but not very well, and only after I cut it did we find some google tips. Has anyone ever worked with organza and starch, fray sticks, heat? etc? Any good links for me? Please give me tips! Any edging ideas?
Thanks! I'm not thinking very sacramental thoughts tonight - ha!
Thursday, May 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)



Oh, what a project! I had the same thoughts with my wedding veil...didn't like the scratchy tulle and decided I'd just sew organza onto a barrette and sewed a ribbon along the edges. But I did it by hand and it took forever! I made Mary Clare's with lace. I think I left the bottom edge as-is and sewed the top to a flower "crown." Maybe try a ribbon along the edges?
ReplyDeleteI'm about to start a project involving organza (I haven't sewn it before) but I do sew a lot of delicate fabrics and a lot of them will get sucked down into my machine if I use anything other than a straight stitch... I'm not sure if that will help with organza (I guess I'll find out soon!). For the edging I'm going to use crepe that I've folded over twice on each side and ironed into a sort of homemade bias tape. That way it's more like sewing crepe than sewing organza, and there's a solid edge that won't fray.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
I would recommend hand sewing it and using a white satin ribbon folded like a bias tape along the edges. But since time is a factor for you, maybe you could try Cam's suggestion of using a straight stitch with the organza pinned into the folded ribbon. Experiment and try it with a scrap first. I tried to sew organza once with a sewing machine and it didn't end well. With Madeline's veil we used tulle and I had to hand stitch the trim on to that one too.
ReplyDeleteFray check works great on the edges of ribbon (including organza ribbon). I'm not a fan of heat sealing edges, especially with so fine a fabric because you're likely to get uneven and possibly singed results.
I also was thinking ribbon along the edge, but I was actually thinking it might be easier to hot glue or use a fabric glue for it. I sew, and made my first daughter's First Communion dress, but was so stressed out over it I bought the next one! I also bought both veils. If you do sew it, make sure you needle is the right size and is new. I would also use some scrap fabric to test your tension.
ReplyDeleteYou can go to my shop to see the polka dot organza veil I made for first communion. It was slippery to work with, but I used a stitch normally reserved for lace when I attached the ribbon trim to it and that made it really beautiful. My main hint is to use lots of pins to hold the fabric to the trim and do a rolled hem. Another trick is to just cut it out with a soldering iron, that finished the edge without needing to hem it. Then you could sew on trim on top of it if you wanted to. Hope this helps. Also use a very fine needles, like size 9 or 11 universal (not ballpoint!).
ReplyDeleteTo make the veil shape I just fold the fabric over like it comes in the store and then fold it the other way. Then I cut it into a rounded rectangular shape. A circle could work too. Unfold the fabric and make it into two layers. Gather at the top as much as you want. Then sew it to whatever hair accessory you want. Hope this makes sense
Hey All!
ReplyDeleteI am blown AWAY by all this help. You really helped me today, along going to my local sewing store for some visual aids (seeing how they would do it with my scraps). One of the ladies sat me down to show me. As much as I love the ribbon edging, etc, I was wanting more of a rolled edge, but I don't have a serger, and neither do my friends. So she said use a wide zig zag, normal tension, and no folding/pinning. She said the wide zig zag down the edge would naturally roll it under, and she was right. I practiced a TON tonight before doing the real piece, and aside from a few places where I need to trim back where I left the edge (slippery fabirc that organza). I got it. I have had such support this week from those I borrowed machine's and brains, and those who calmed me down and reminded me to pray before working. I have some pics to post of it still unfinished, but off to a good start!!
Maria and Cam - as business women who sew for your businesses...my hat is off to you. Organza..wow! Maria, and Cam - you amaze me.
Blair - now that I've done what I've done, I appreciate the sentimental feelings you must have over your veil and Mary Clare's!
Karen - thank you so much for your great suggestion. I was worried the ribbon wouldn't jive with the dress in style...but I would have totally done your idea had I properly planned all this out, and went a different style gown. I was ready to just do it, and your taste is fantastic.
Sheila - Your comments on tension and needle were correct - I needed to change my tension from the first try, AND get a smaller needle. THANK YOU!!!
God bless you all!