One of my favorite blog reads (the mom, Kelle, is amazing, her photography is amazing, her outlook is amazing, and her family is amazing) put some of the feelings I've been feeling for 6 1/2 years into words, and I'd like to share them with you. It's about becoming a parent. Even though she talks about pregnancy, I know those touched by adoption can completely agree too.
"...here's the thing. Once you become a parent...once you start feeling a little funny and you buy that pregnancy test...once you see a pink plus sign...once you know it's not just you anymore...well, you automatically carry around, for the rest of your life, an increased likelihood. To have your heart broken. And it's a constant fear that we struggle to put to rest.
And we can choose to be afraid or we can choose to live. And I choose to live. Because an "increased likelihood of having your heart broken" also carries with it an increased likelihood to find yourself the happiest you've ever been in life. "
Every day I have little voices in my private "back burner" - I worry about childhood illnesses, accidents, playing outside, playing inside, safety, strangers, my health, hubby's health, living to see them as adults and parents too....etc, etc, etc. You name it, I worry about it. Add postpartum hormones in the mix, and it is no longer back burner - but all consuming! But, Kelle, who knows what she is talking about, is right. No matter the worries that seep into our hearts as parents - either we choose to worry about what we have NO control over, or we can choose to LIVE. Choose to love LIFE, the day to day moments with our kids and spouse. Because honestly I have WAY more "increased likelihoods" of happiness than brokenness. And, my purpose in life is to ENJOY and embrace them. If the brokenness comes, I will be given the strength and faith to handle it somehow - but until then, I choose to LIVE.
Thanks for the reminder Kelle. Life IS beautiful.
I wish you increased likelihoods of happiness this long weekend. Blessings!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)



I like that phrase. And it's true, there's the constant whisper about what could befall your children. The general nagging that you probably didn't do your BEST today and maybe they'll be scarred for the rest of their lives, which will hopefully be long and not touched by illness or injury and...
ReplyDelete