Saturday, January 7, 2012

Comments I didn't need today.

~ Our computer's screen saver flashes all the pictures on our drive. They go back to when Lovely was around 2 years old and we went digital. Tonight she came up and whispered to me "Wow mommy, there was just a picture of you and you were so...ummm.... (very hushed) thin."
     A) That is just plain disturbing to know how body image aware she is at age 8.
     B) Sad she can see the effects of my comfort eating of late.
     C) My Zumba workouts are not working fast enough for my liking.
     D) Sigh. My daughter may not be feeling any of the stress in the house (so far, she seems not to be too affected as we play it cool pretty well at home. Family time was never our problem!), but she can SEE it on me, even if she does not understand it.

~ When speaking to a close family member on the phone tonight, it was heavily implied that this person approved of the idea of marital separation and possible divorce through the situation of a cousin (we just learned he is separated. His wife wants a divorce, but he does not want to grant it, but fight for the marriage) because  my family member stated "some things can not be undone." Aside from the fact my close family member has spent countless conversations dogging this extended family (not just the cousin) and their choices of job, spouse, etc. and how too many of them marry only to divorce and don't work hard to work it out  - this close relative NOW says separation is good? I called  them on it. This particular person they were talking about actually would not sign any divorce papers because of their belief. I commented how proud I was of that - my family member said "Well, vows are important, but blood needs to be thicker than water."

While I would have loved to go more in depth on my relative's theory in the above sentence, I had to stop this line of discussion. I have to create boundaries. Hubby hurt and angered us all. He wronged me. Because our family is one that helps each other in more ways than one, they have all felt wronged by his decisions and betrayal. But, my family has to understand that in order for me to pick up the pieces of my own life, I can't pick up their pieces too.

If I take on their mantle of pain and anger - how will I ever heal my own? I know blood is thicker than water, but when two people marry they become family. Hubby and I made a covenant and created a BLOODLINE that would eventually, with God's help, flow in our children. I don't think one can 'water down' marriage. This situation is not an impossible one to come back from. When ending the discussion, I said I believe that working out a marriage should be the ultimate goal for every couple. My family member stated that "maybe it is easier for the person in the marriage to get over it than for their family members." I can understand that statement. If this ever happened to Lovely or Valiant, or if Gift did this to his wife and family - I would be seething and broken hearted for my child and grandchildren. But, I would pray I could respect the fact that this didn't happened directly to me, but something they need to resolve in their marriage and barring any abuse, I should pray for reconciliation and support their union. Right? Or am I just a hopeless romantic?

So, these were comments I didn't need today. Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. You are not just a hopeless romantic. Your family member's comments about your cousin were ill-placed. And I do think that reconciliation and support of the marital union is the right thing in both your cousin's situation and in yours as well. As far as "blood is thicker than water", I actually disagree. I believe we're to cleave to our spouses. It's what God wants of us.

    We're also to forgive. I'm sorry that all of your family is not acting in a way that is mindful of the very forgiveness that they are also given. It seems as though YOUR forgiveness is going to have to be extended to them and their judgments also.

    Take heart, honey! Jesus has overcome this world.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to reference Mark 10:6-9.

    "But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

    Also, Matthew 18:21-22.

    "Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven."

    As far as Lovely's comments. Kids do notice differences, and they don't always know how to say what they're thinking. I'll assure you though, regardless of what has happened in your life recently, you are a beautiful woman, and even more importantly, a wonderful wife & mother.

    Hugs - love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry family members are making a difficult time even more difficult. BTW Lovely hushed tones may well have meant that she thought you were too thin in the pictures.

    Continued prayers and many cyber hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle Duggar said about Joshua and Anna's marriage that when one gets married it's time to "cleave and leave." And think about it, that's the Duggars. I was married in a Methodist church (long story) where the minister told Jeff and I that family ties are strong and important, but nothing but God should be more important than the family were were creating just the two of us and any eventual children. As we now struggle with issues with his mother's healthy and his brother's, well, EVERYTHING, we remind ourselves constantly that our first priority is to each other and our kids. You and your husband are doing that. Don't stop. Your marriage and family are worth this fight. Some things can't be undone, but nothing is dead unless we give up on it. God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!! I wish you a GREAT day!