Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday



"So they took Jesus, and carrying the cross himself he went out to what is called the Place of the Skull, in Hebrew, Golgotha. There, they crucified him, and with him two others, one on either side, with Jesus in the middle."  John 19: 17-18

From the Lenten Meditations from Small Steps for Catholic Moms:

Be with Christ today. Stand beside the cross and unite your sufferings with his. Compare your wounds with his and see that they are small, but give them to him anyway. Compare your strengths to his and see that you are weak, but give yourself to him anyway. Walk with him, bleed with him, die with him today. 

Today, we made and decorated Hot Cross Buns for Good Friday.



Then, we went to our church's 10am Children's Stations of the Cross. It was led by our older children, and such a nice way to reflect on the powerful meaning of Good Friday. We did the stations inside the sanctuary using the wall plates for visuals for each station. The weather outside was perfect for today - dreary, threatening of rain......


You can see Lovely in purple in the center.
We did get a few moments outside with the children, and it was a wonderful reunion for Lovely to see two of her best friends - Kate's lovely older daughters!!!


The girl's had such a great time together. I loved how at one point, Lovey was trying to tell Kate something and kept saying from afar...."Madeline's mom....Excuse me....Madeline's MOM!!!" hehe! It was so great for me to see Kate for a while. I miss her, and we seem cut from the same cloth. I wish I could see her more than a few times a year. Kate is a blessing!!!

We got home around noon, and kept the house very quiet until a little after 3pm. We did not do anything loud, electronic, or energetic. We talked about what Jesus did for us around this time (traditionally 12 noon with his death around 3pm) 2000 years ago. The girls then played quietly, and naptime overlapped with it as well. It was just nice for me to play quiet music, or some chant, and reflect and pray some. After 3pm, Lovely was able to meet up with her best friends next door. The timing was perfect for fellowship - even for me!!

We wrapped up the day a little while ago at the Veneration of the Cross. I had the time wrong for our parish and realized 30 mins late - so we went in the evening to the church Lovely's Godparents attend. She sat with her Godfather and Grammy while her Godmother sang. Hubby and I sat a few rows back with the little ones. It was a truly beautiful service. I was so touched to see Lovely embrace the cross all on her own, and then my turn venerating the cross holding my sweet son, and Hubby holding Valiant...and I just felt overwhelming gratitude for what Jesus did for ME, for US. I can't describe the love. I can't describe the awe. God is so good.

Tomorrow is Holy Saturday - a day for watching, waiting, and remembering Jesus in the tomb and counting down to Easter and all the joy it will bring - including saying the "A" word again and seeing the Easter Bunny! Hubby and I will also be playing at another church's Easter Vigil tomorrow evening. I'm looking forward to it!!


Much love!!

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying reading how you and your family are observing Triduum.
    Thank you for sharing. Blessings this Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I hope to get better about commenting back directly (I get so busy with the kids!) but I appreciate you very much!! I wish you a GREAT day!